Saturday, August 16, 2008

another birthday...

Today is the anniversary of the horrible earthquake that happend here on Peru last year. So that was the main topic of many conversations through out the day. Who was where, what were they doing, what was the weather like, where did they go...but I love to hear the stories. They are so interesting and it´s pretty scary that all this happend just a year ago. My cousin Lucho told me that he didn´t even feel it! He drives a taxi but he is just as crazy as all the other drivers here and he said that while he was driving someone around that he noticed people running out of buildings and screaming and just people all over the place and he didn´t understand what was going on until he stopped to ask. I´m glad I wasn´t here for that!

We went over to tia Nelly´s house to see her for a little bit. And of course she ended up feeding us. Her food is always so good. We ate "pavita" which is turkey I think. I can´t really remember. Tia Daniel was there too. My mom was so happy to finally see him. He is kinda sick too. He has Parkinsons, but he is always so happy regardless. She brought him some new shoes that have velcro so it is easier for him to use than ones with shoe laces. It´s hard to understand what he says sometimes. But he is so sweet.

Photobucket
mami, tia Nelly and me
Photobucket
we were having such an exciting conversation, my mom was looks astonished

Photobucket
tio Daniel and my mom

Photobucket

Today is also tio Benjamin´s birthday so me, my mom, and tia Mimi went over to see him and have a "lonchesito". We ate sooo much bread and head cheese and sangresita (I won´t explain what this is because it seems pretty disgusting when being described, but it´s actually really good). We talked and talked and took pictures and just hung out. While we were all sitting around in the living room these little men that sell "humitas", a sweet tamale type thing, were outside of the house singing and dancing. They put on a little show and then ask whoever is around if they will buy their humitas. It was so fun to watch them. We all went outside the front door and watched and clapped and my cousin Carlos and his little nephew Alonzo even went out and started dancing around. It was funny. We asked them to sing and dance one more time for us. We did end up buying the humitas and they were really good. I had never seen anything like that before here.. We got home really late because it was another far drive. I wish everyone could just live close together. It would be so much cheaper.

Photobucket
everyone

Photobucket
dancing vendors

Photobucket
Carlos and Alonzo dancing

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
unwrapping humitas

Photobucket
yum!!

No comments: