Monday, December 8, 2008

Pimentel Sunset...

My cousin Mary, Julio's mom, had a birthday today! I had decided that I wanted to make it special for her so I cooked some Sancocho which is this Colombian soup that is delicious! I woke up super early to go to the market and get all the ingredients I needed to cook. The market in Chiclayo is so cute. It's alot smaller than the ones in Lima and it was just down the street from my aunts house. I didn't feel unsafe at all. I even bargained a little when buying some plantains! I've never been really good at that. So I started cooking everything and we had actually planned on going to the beach before lunch but with the cooking and the time and having people come over it really didn't give us enough time. Lunch ended up being fabulous, I have to admit!

eating lunch




Claudia and Raquel

After we ate I took a little nap. I was exhausted from all the cooking and serving and just everything. Later on that evening I realized it would be a perfect day to go to Pimentel and just watch the sunset. So me, Mary and Julio decided to go to the beach. First we ent downtown to get a cremolada! Ah I just love those things! After that we hopped on a combi headed to Pimentel. Well all these kids ended up getting and they were so loud and annoying and singing and augh! I just wanted to get out of there. We finally got there and walked around on the beach. There is this long pier that goes really far into the ocean. The wood is pretty old and kinda cracked and scary looking. I just tried not to think about it and not look down to often. We walked and walked and then we got to a point where the worker people wouldn't let us pass. Apparently they were unloading fishing boats so people can't be down there all in there way. I was bummed but we were still pretty far into the ocean. I took alot of pictures and we just enjoyed the beauty of it all. We were freezing but it was still awesome. I'm going to miss these sunsets!


eating delicious cremoladas!


the pier we walked upon


cute little old lady standing on the pier


Pimentel


where our journey ended on the pier




we had a blast


bringing in a load of fish


bringing in another load


the rickety wood




there is nothing more peaceful than to feel the wind in your hair while watching the sunset




Pimentel sunset

When we got back from the beach we realized it was already almost 7 pm and Nalva had already left to go to the bus station because she was leaving to go back to Brazil today and we took too long to get back! We left in such a hurry. We stood on the side of the street for sooo long trying to find a colectivo. We gave up and just got in a taxi. Well we weren't sure where the bus station was exactly so we ended up getting lost! We literally had to run down a long street to get to the place. The taxi driver got so annoyed with us because we didn't know exactly where we were going. Ah! well we made it! the bus was actually late on leaving so they were all still sitting around. it was so sad to say good bye. Nalva is such a sweet girl. My cousin Mary left before me and Julio because she had some meeting. So me and Julio just walked from there to down town. It wasn't too far but it was a pretty long walk. It was nice though. I love walking everywhere. We ended up seeing that hippie guy Miguel on the street selling some jewelry. We ended up just hanging out with him for a while. He showed me ho to make some bracelets but it just seemed so complicated. I hope i can buy some of the leather sandals he makes before I leave!


waiting for a colectivo


saying bye to Nalva. me, Nalva, mary and Julio




I love to shop!


I love these sandals!


me, Julio, and Miguel

When we got back to the house there were some people over and waiting for us to sing Happy Birthday to Mary. They had bought her 2 cakes! One was a 3 leches cake and the other one was some Brazilian cake..They were both really good!



No comments: